Monday, April 24, 2006

Boat or Decoy?

The great sculptors have nothing to fear from me. I knew that when I started this little project, and I've certainly proved it with the result. I chose Sculpey as a medium because it was readily available in a package that included twelve different colors and two "sculpting tools." More tools - cool! I read the directions, hacked off a piece of the stuff, and started to work.

Sculpey has all the consistency of a Tootsie Roll that's been left in the car in June. Mushy soft, but not quite ready to liquefy. Perhaps, with time and practice, I will develop the skill to coax Sculpey into the shape of Viking longships. Right now, I'll settle for this:



Most of the boat doesn't look too bad. The real trouble came when I tried to shape the figurehead. My daughters, generous souls, call it a Swan Boat. Seamas thinks it looks more like a duck decoy. What do you think? Any ideas on how to make the next batch look more Viking?

No comments: