Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Garden Complete?

While no garden is ever quite complete, I at least have all the available space filled...for now. The girls and I stopped in at the nursery we pass most every day on our way home and picked up a few additions. Then we had to rush home and plant them before it started raining!

We added:
  • rosemary - 1 plant. What can I say? Rosemary is obligatory in my herb garden. I simply had to find the right plant.

  • chives - 1 plant. Yes, I planted chive seeds last week. I'm impatient. I'm also thoroughly enjoying the ones I used to top the potato I'm eating while typing this post.

  • petunias 2 plants, one pink, one purple. These are the wave variety that have become so popular for hanging baskets in recent years. We planted them towards the back edge of the planter to encourage them to cascade down the back of their respective sides of the deck. They should be really pretty by the middle of next month.

I also found a variety of tomatoes that called itself a "patio tomato." Apparently, this variety is supposed to grow as a low, compact bush with approximately 2" fruit. How could I pass that up? I put two in a container as an experiment.






This afternoon, I noticed the tarragon, thyme, and chives all have sprouts in their respective pots. So far, so good! I also noticed that the basil has new growth coming from the areas I cut when I topped the plants late last week. While this is great - new growth means bushier plants - it's also a bit disturbing. It appears that two stalks are growing where I cut only one. Do I have an herbal hydra on my hands?

No comments: