Monday, May 15, 2006

Moira's Herbal - Disclaimer

Gentle Reader, my interest in herbs is as varied as my interest in other topics, and I am quick to acknowledge that there are others who know far more about herbs than do I.

While I am interested in and have limited practice with the medicinal use of herbs, I do not intend to discuss medical uses here. Used improperly, herbal remedies can do more harm than good. I strongly encourage those who wish to make or use herbal remedies to learn as much as possible about their effects, side effects, and interactions before they begin.

While period herbals are excellent resources for research, herbalists of the Middle Ages and Renaissance did not have the advantage of our modern medical understanding. If you, Gentle Reader, have an interest in herbs for any purpose, I encourage you to include in your study at least one modern herbal. (I recommend John Lust’s The Herb Book.)

In these pages, I will discuss the cultivation of various herbs, their place in folklore, and their culinary and household uses.

No comments: